Thursday 20 December 2007

Ending Starts

Sweet baby Jesus! Praise The Lord! It's Christmas-time!

This time of year actually has no religious connotations for me in the slightest. However, I am keen on the presents bit (giving & receiving of course!) and the eating bit.

It is also a time to reflect on the year gone by, well it is for me anyway. I tend to reflect solo. If you start discussing these things with other people, you invariably get helpful comments such as "Gosh! Hasn't this year gone quickly?" in tones of genuine disbelief. Middle aged, female office workers are particularly fond of that one. Last time I checked, the year lasted approximately 365 days and that is exactly what you've been given, hag!

This year has been one of the best for me, in recent memory in terms of gigs. Forgive me, whilst I do a run down of some of the top gigs of 2007, as far as I am concerned. And forgive me for the distinct lack of hardcore content. You'll just have to make do.

-Genesis- Without a doubt... an expensive gig, but totally brilliant nonetheless. I have no time for these negative types who say they are nothing without Gabriel. YOU'RE nothing without Gabriel you idiots!! Turn It On Again, Land of Confusion, Invisible Touch- full on classic pop right there.

-Prince- Speaking of pop....this was my first trip to the O2 in London, and despite feeling a little brainwashed by the looping adverts for Prince merchandise (he clearly does have magic powers, to make a grown up even consider buying Prince perfume "just for a laugh".. I ask you..), and despite an evil bout of tonsilitus attempting to sabotage my night, I wouldnt have missed this for the world.

-Municipal Waste- I personally think this goes without saying. To be blunt, if you don't crack a smile at a Waste show, you're an idiot.

-High On Fire- I had the pleasure of seeing this band twice this year. They were ace the first time round, but the second time they were astounding. Sometimes I struggle to describe bands, find reference points etc. But High On Fire, to me don't require decribing, I honestly just think they are straight up, good time, rock and roll/metal. On a side note, I get the feeling I would lose to Matt Pike in a drinking contest...

-Jesus & Mary Chain- They were so good, they bought a tear to my eye and softened my brutal, brittle heart a little when they played Just Like Honey. They were so good, I have already got my tickets to see them next year.

Special mentions should also go to the reformed Cynic, who I caught live in June, The Police, who despite being made up of 90% ego and 10% music, still put on a top show, and Boredoms, who made my mind bend.

Next year is already shaping up to be a good un; I already have tickets for My Bloody Valentine and Bruce Springsteen. I also have a secret yearning to see Avenged Sevenfold, but if you could keep that to yourself, I would be eternally grateful....


Roll on 2008...

No comments: